Bitvavo API User AgreementLast updated: 08-03-2019
The following API User Agreement applies to Users’ access to, or use of, the Bitvavo API, the Bitvavo Software Development Kit and the Bitvavo Websocket (together, the “API”) and the related documentation (the “API Documentation”), all of which are designed to facilitate Users’ access to, and use of, the Services.
This API User Agreement supplements, and forms part of, the User Agreement. Accordingly, the capitalised terms have the same meaning as defined in the User Agreement, unless explicitly stated or the context clearly indicates otherwise.
1. Use of the API and API Documentation
- 1.1 User may use the API and the API documentation.
- 1.2 Bitvavo reserves the right to require User to complete (additional) enhanced on-boarding procedures before providing access to the API.
- 1.3 Depending on the country of residence or the country from which User access the API and/or API Documentation, User may not be able to use the API and/or API Documentation or Services. User is responsible for complying with the rules and regulations applicable in his country of residence and/or the country from which User accesses the API and/or API Documentation.
- 1.4 To use the API, one or more API key(s) with corresponding secrets (“API Credentials”) must be created. User acknowledges that such API Credentials provide access to the Account, and User agrees to be responsible for safely storing the API Credentials. In the event that User knows, or should know, that API Credentials have been stolen or misused, that User must contact Bitvavo immediately.
- 1.5 Bitvavo provides User with a revocable, non-exclusive, non-sub-licensable, non-transferable right of use regarding the API and the API Documentation for the term of the API User Agreement, to the extent that it is necessary for the execution of the API User Agreement, provided that User complies with the User Agreement and the API User Agreement.
2. Restrictions and Responsibilities
- 2.1 User will not use or access the API and API Documentation in any way not expressly permitted under the User Agreement or the API User Agreement.
- 2.2 Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, User will not use the API and API Documentation:
- to collect or store data or content accessed via the API other than for purposes allowed under this API User Agreement;
- for purposes of monitoring the availability, performance or functionality of the Services or for any other competitive purposes;
- in a manner that exceeds reasonable request volume, constitutes excessive or abusive usage, or otherwise impacts the stability of Bitvavo’s servers or impacts the behaviour of other Services using the API;
- in any manner that may threaten the security or functionality of the API or the Services;
- to circumvent the intended features, functionality or limitations of the Services;
- to reproduce, adapt, translate or otherwise attempt or create any source code that is derived from the API;
- to duplicate or compete with the Services as offered by Bitvavo;
- to provide services to user(s) which do not meet the requirements necessary to obtain a verified Account at Bitvavo.
- 2.3 Notwithstanding the foregoing, Bitvavo reserves the right to suspend or revoke, in its sole discretion, User’s access to the API at any time and for any reason.
3. Monitoring Usage of the API and Limitation of API Calls
- 3.1 User acknowledges and agrees that Bitvavo may monitor the use of the API and that User will not block or otherwise interfere with the monitoring process.
- 3.2 Bitvavo may set limits on the number of calls that User can make, in its sole discretion, to the API during any given period and without notice. User agrees to such limitations and will not attempt to circumvent such limitations.
- 3.3 If User exceeds the limits, Bitvavo may moderate User activities, may cease offering access to the API or may immediately suspend or terminate access to the API in its sole discretion and without notice.
4. Data, Privacy and Security
- 4.1 User grants Bitvavo the irrevocable right to collect, store and use any data or information that User loads, transmits to or enters into the API.
- 4.2 User must ensure that all transmitted data only contains data and information in respect of which User has obtained all applicable third-party consents and permissions as required by law.
- 4.3 User acknowledges and agrees to use the data as accessed via the API only for purposes as expressly permitted in this API User Agreement.
- 4.4 User may not use any data about any identifiable individual (as accessed via the API) and will promptly delete any such information.
- 4.5 User must ensure that he complies with all privacy and security laws and regulations in connection with User’s access and the use of the API.
- 4.6 User must make all reasonable efforts to protect the data and information, including any data or information obtained from unauthorized access or use, as accessed via the API.
- 4.7 In the event that User’s system or infrastructure used for storage, processing or hosting personal information is breached or compromised, or if personal information is inadvertently exposed to non-authorized third parties, User shall notify Bitvavo promptly of such a (potential) incident, including the cause, remediation steps and control measures to mitigate such (potential) incident in the (near) future.
5. Ownership and Intellectual Property Rights
- 5.1 All intellectual property rights, title and interest in and to the API, the API Documentation, the data or information and all other materials provided by Bitvavo under this API User Agreement will be vested exclusively in Bitvavo.
- 5.2 Bitvavo provides User with a right of use regarding the API and API Documentation for the term of the API User Agreement, to the extent that it is necessary for execution of the API User Agreement, provided that User complies with the API User Agreement.
6. Changes in the API, API Documentation and/or API User Agreement
- 6.1 Except where prohibited by applicable Law, Bitvavo reserves the right to change, add or remove, in its sole discretion, parts of the API and API Documentation at any time and without notice. User acknowledges and understands that these changes may require User to make substantial changes in order to continue using the API, and that this is User’s own responsibility.
- 6.2 Except where prohibited by applicable Law, Bitvavo reserves the right to change, add or remove, in its sole discretion, parts of the API terms at any time and without notice. If User continues to use the API or API Documentation after any changes, it implies that User accepts and agrees to these changes.
7. Termination of the API User Agreement
- 7.1 User is allowed to terminate the API User Agreement at any time.
- 7.2 Bitvavo reserves the right to terminate or suspend, in its sole discretion, the API User Agreement at any time and for any reason. Bitvavo will inform the User of the termination of the User Agreement.
- 7.3 When the API User Agreement is terminated, User will immediately delete all data as accessed via the API.
8. Limited Liability
- 8.1 Without limiting the limited liability clause as included in the User Agreement, User acknowledges and agrees that Bitvavo does not guarantee:
- that the API and/or API Documentation are suitable for User’s use;
- that the API and/or API Documentation are without defect or error;
- that the activities of User, by using the API, will be uninterrupted;
- that any defects or errors to the API will be corrected;
- any results of the use of the API and API Documentation.
9. Concluding Terms
- 9.1 User acknowledges and agrees to grant Bitvavo, for the duration of this API User Agreement, a fully paid-up, non-exclusive, worldwide, transferable, irrevocable right and licence under all of User’s intellectual property right to (i) use User’s name, likeness or brand for the maintenance, development and promotion of the API, and (ii) use or make available User’s application to maintain, develop and promote the Services.
- 9.2 In the event of any conflict or inconsistency between the API User Agreement and the User Agreement, the API User Agreement will prevail for any activity related to the API and API Documentation.